House On The Hill for two amplified violins. Conceived as a piece for solo dancer Rosina Bonsu, this was performed by Scottish Chamber Orchestra violinist, Lorna McLaren.
SLOW Lorries Merging for six pianos, commissioned and performed by Piano Circus. This is a BBC Radio 3 broadcast recorded at London’s Queen Elizabeth Hall.
Concert Hall commissions include works for Quintessence (wind quintet), Scottish Chamber Orchestra, Edinburgh Contemporary Arts Trust, Royal Scottish National Orchestra, Glasgow and Heriott Watt Universities, Stirling Symphony Orchestra, the Royal Scottish Academy of Music and Drama, Women’s Playhouse Trust, Piano Circus (6 pianos), acoustic chamber ensembles Gemini and Lontano, amplified rock-inspired ensemble Icebreaker and the Mistry String Quartet.
Theatre and Dance appointments as Composer/Pianist/Musical Director include Shakespeare’s Globe Theatre, London 1997, the Tron Theatre Co. Glasgow 1992, acrobatic string group The Gogmagogs 1995-99, young Scottish company Theatre Cryptic 1993.
New dance scores include Trilby for Dance Productions Scotland 1991 with Andy Howitt and Kim Brandstrupp and contemporary ballet based on Grimm’s fairytale The Twelve Dancing Princesses in collaboration with choreographer Matthew Hawkins, first produced by the Isleworth Festival, London (1999).
1994 Major Composer’s Bursary from the Scottish Arts Council to create a performance piece inspired by ‘The Twelve Dancing Princesses’ fairytale by the brothers Grimm (completed 1999; see list of works).
Gullivar Award Bursary 1992, nominated by Sir Peter Maxwell Davies, to study Indonesian music in Java. 1991 Theodore Holland Composition Competition (Royal Academy of Music) adjudicated by James Dillon (second place).
At her own initiative and administration, in addition to employing organisations, she has been awarded many grants for composition work and periods of study, from bodies such as the Scottish and English Arts Councils, Regional Arts Boards in the UK, the Performing Rights Society and the Ralph Vaughan Williams Trust
- Queensferry for oboe and string orchestra – Scottish Chamber Orchestra & Borders Community Orchestra 2002
- Stand Alone for choir and ensemble- Heriott Watt University New Music Group 2000;
- Maxwell’s Demon for the Stirling Symphony Orchestra 1995; (amateur players)
- Rasa for mezzo-soprano, chorus & ensemble- Cunningham Choir 1993;
- Overture for the Scottish Chamber Orchestra 1992;
- Moral Tails for 2 pianos & strings St. Mary’s Music School commissioned by Edinburgh Contemporary Arts Trust & the RSSPCA 1991.
Solo & Ensemble:
- Ne Sa Ma for Quintessence wind quintet 2002
- Mr. Abdul for solo piano 2001 & Mr. Abdul – Music for ‘Oceans’ 2003; arrangement for large ensemble; soundtrack for digital animation by artist Jacques Marzan.
- All Wonder for prepared piano and Javanese Gamelan – Joanna MacGregor and the South Bank Gamelan (SPNM Bath Festival 2000);
- Solea for harp & percussion – Gemini ensemble 2000;
- Source One (score with element of improvisation) for percussion, Ondes Martenot and violin with dancers- Bottled at Source with the Matthew Hawkins Company 1998;
- Five songs for the Women’s Playhouse Trust staged song-cycle Passages Endymion Ensemble, QEH London 1997;
- Trapeze for Two Atoms in 2 versions- amplified ensemble Icebreaker (1996) and mixed chamber ensemble Lontano (2000);
- SLOW Lorries Merging for six pianos – Piano Circus 1994;
- In the Looking-Glass River for flute and clarinet – RSNO 1994;
- On the Snow for mezzo-soprano and ensemble – Mary Weigold & the Composers’ Ensemble 1993;
- Banten for 4 female voices & percussion- Scottish Voices ensemble, McEwan Commission, Glasgow University 1993;
- White Lines for SCO string trio, 1991
- String Quartet From Hoy for the Mistry Quartet 1989
Music for Young People:
- Kompositions for Kentish Town Kids 33 miniatures for piano (2000) and many more short pieces af all standards 2000-12
- Mr.Goggleye Visits the Exhibition for 20 young percussionists: Dulwich Prep. & Kingsdale schools 1997;
- Fanfare for symphony orchestra of young players of mixed ability-Scottish Schools Orchestra Trust 1994;
- He Hid, The Wild Life, Mice and Encore for string septet ‘The Gogmagogs’ 1997-99;
- Thrum for solo trombonist – Soundpool commission for Barrie Webb 1994;
- The Morning for soprano, 2 pianos & percussion- RSAMD 1993;
- The People, Yes for 8 actors and mixed amplified ensemble- RSAMD 1991.
- Stopping Places for 13 flutes & mixed ensemble – RSAMD flute dept. 1991
Theatre: Songs and Incidental Music Composer/Conductor/Pianist
- The Maid’s Tragedy (Beaumont & Fletcher) – Shakespeare’s Globe Theatre 1997;
- Bonjour Tristesse (Francoise Sagan) – Theatre Cryptic 1994;
- The Bloody Chamber (Angela Carter) – Tron Theatre Co. 1992;
- The Soul Machine – Test Dept. Productions 1991;
- The Goodperson of Sichuan (Bertholt Brecht) – RSAMD 1991;
- Human Cannon (Edward Bond) – Scottish Youth Theatre 1990.
- Ballet The Twelve Dancing Princesses with choreographer Matthew Hawkins, for large ensemble, first produced at the Isleworth Festival 2000; Full version completed 2003, unperformed.
- Constant Rain for solo piano and 2 dancers- International Dance Course for Professional Choreographers and Composers 1994;
- Trilby score for piano and Scottish folk fiddler, choreographers Andy Howitt, Kim Brandstrupp and Matthew Hawkins, commissioned by Dance Productions 1992;
- House on the Hill at the Vim Vandekeybus & Thierry de Mey residency, Glasgow 1992, for two amplified violins (SCO) and solo dancer Rosina Bonsu.
- Silent film accompaniments since 2005 (see ‘Silent Film Accompaniments page)
- Sleepwalking written and directed by Mike Kelly (piano, oboe and double bass score)- Edinburgh Festival 1997;
- Perhaps written and directed by Stephen Eastwood (London venues) 1996.
Image by Graeme MacDonald